Mobile money is a growing payment method for betting in Nigeria. This is a result of the introduction of mobile money service through Telcos and financial institutions in Nigeria a few years ago. Although it is not as established as that of Kenya, it is catching up and more Nigerians are embracing it as a means of payment.
Some of the leading mobile money services in Nigeria are GT Bank 737 USSD, Zenith Bank USSD and MTN MOMO. Both Firstmonie and Zenith Bank USSD provides quality and efficient service, but the GT Bank 737 USSD is by far the most used in Nigeria. These mobile money services are widely adopted by Bookmakers as a means of payment on their various platforms.
Tip: Find free betting tips on our homepage to increase your chances of winning
Why is Mobile Money popular in Nigeria?
Nigeria has one of the highest rates of mobile and internet penetration on the African continent. And this undoubtedly has influenced the growth of the sports betting industry in the country. Bettors can make payments into their betting accounts via their mobile devices. Mobile money offers convenient and fast payment methods anywhere and any time of the day without breaking a sweat.
According to data from the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC), there are over 155 million mobile phone users and around 120 million internet subscribers in Nigeria, with around 80% of those subscribers able to access the internet on their mobile phones.
Another reason why it is growing in popularity is its accessibility. Punters can do transactions on a betting account within minutes via a mobile phone while basking in the comfort of the Houses or Offices. Aside from betting payment, there is a huge range of transactions that could be done using Mobile Money. These include shopping, procuring electricity units, cable television subscription, internet subscription and many more.
Mobile money is finding its feet in Nigeria, and it can only become more popular due to its ease of use and the convenience it provides users. It fast becoming the go-to method for customers to deposit funds. You can find out more about payment methods in Nigeria here.
How to use GT Bank 737 USSD MOMO for betting?
The 737 USSD code was launched in 2015 and it has enjoyed great success. It is owned and operated by Guaranty Trust Bank which is one of the leading financial institutions in Nigeria. To use the 737 USSD code, you have to own and operate an account with GT Bank and your mobile phone number linked to the account. Transactions on the 737 USSD code are exclusively done in Naira (₦).
Once you have sufficient funds in your GT Bank account, you can use the 737 USSD code to deposit funds on your betting account without any hassle. And the good part is you do not need an internet connection to be able to make payment to your account using this method.
A majority of the top Bookmakers have the GT Bank 737 USSD on their stable as a payment method. They include bet9ja, 22Bet, Betking, Betway and a host of others.
Bookies that are compatible with the GT Bank USSD code are provided with a set of numbers unique to each bookmaker. This is usually between 2 and 6 digits, but mostly they are 3 numbers specific to each betting company. You can find the 737 unique number of each betting company in the payment or deposit section of their websites.
To fund your betting account, you will be required to include the unique number of your prefered bookmaker along with the general 737 shortcodes to ascertain where the payment should be credited. You will also be asked to input your 737 PIN, customer identification number issued by your bookie as well as the last four digits of your debit card as part of the process, so it is important to have your debit card handy.
GT Bank 737 USSD Unique Numbers for Bookmakers
How to deposit using GT Bank 737 USSD
This process for depositing using 737 USSD is mostly the same for the different Bookies, and it is highlighted below:
- Dial *737*50*Amount*Unique Number# on your mobile device( Number must be linked with your GT Account)
- Enter your User ID Number (This is issued by your Bookie)
- Enter PIN or last four digits of your GT Bank debit card
- Proceed with payment
- You will get a notification of transaction
Payment with 737 USSD code is instant and payment will be reflected in your account immediately. There are charges associated with using this method, as you will be charged at least ₦20 for each deposit transaction.
How to use Zenith Bank 966 USSD MOMO for betting?
The 966 USSD code is owned by Zenith Bank which is another reputable financial institution in Nigeria. The 966 USSD is an alternative to the GT Bank 737, but the snag is that it is not as widely accepted by betting companies. To be able to use this, you have to open an account with Zenith Bank and link your phone number to the account.
Zenith Bank 966 USSD Unique Numbers for Bookmakers
Once you have money in your Zenith Bank account, you can follow these general steps to fund your betting account:
How to deposit using Zenith Bank 966 USSD
- Dial the USSD code *966*6*Unique number# on your mobile phone
- Enter the customer User Identification number issued by your Bookie
- Input the amount you wish to deposit
- Enter your PIN
- Confirm your Account details
- Then authorize the transaction
- Your betting account will then be credited with the amount you deposited
The deposit on Zenith 966 USSD is instant and it involves charges. This is free of charges on some Bookies, while some others have relatively cheap fees attached.
Mobile Money on Bet9ja
Bet9ja supports payment from both the GT Bank 737 and Zenith Bank 966 USSD codes. The Bet9ja unique number for 737 USSD is 500 while that of 966 USSD code is 2389.
How to deposit with GT Bank 737 USSD on Bet9ja
- Dial the USSD string *737*50*Amount*500#
- Enter your Bet9ja Customer ID
- Confirm your account details
- Authorize the transaction
- Upon successful completion, your account will be credited
This is a very fast and efficient method of paying into your bet9ja account. There is a charge of ₦20 that comes with using this service.
How to deposit with Zenith Bank 966 USSD on Bet9ja
- Dial the USSD string *966*6*2389#
- Input your Bet9ja Customer ID
- Enter the amount you wish to deposit
- Confirm your account details
- Authorize the transaction
- Your account will be credited, after a successful transaction
It should be noted that there is a service charge of ₦20 plus Value Added Tax (VAT) associated with the use of this payment method.
Bet9ja Nigeria offers a 100% welcome bonus of up to ₦100,000 on your first deposit. Grab bonus now!
Mobile Money on Betking Nigeria
Betking Nigeria is another Bookmaker that offers Mobile Money payment via USSD codes. The Betking Unique number for GTBank 737 USSD is 153, while that of Zenith Bank 966 USSD is 7842
How to deposit with GT Bank 737 USSD on Betking Nigeria
- Dial the USSD string *737*50*Amount*153#
- Input your Betking User ID
- Enter your PIN or last 4 digits of your Debit Card
- Authorize payment
- A notification will be sent to you upon a successful transaction
How to deposit with Zenith Bank 966 USSD on Betking Nigeria
- Dial the USSD string *966*6*7842# on your registered mobile device with the Bank
- Enter your Betking User ID
- Input the amount you wish to deposit to your betking account
- Enter your PIN
- Proceed with your payment and a notification will be sent to you after the transaction is done.
This deposit method attracts a small fee of ₦20.
Read our Betking Nigeria review and discover exciting offers and rewards from the bookmaker.
Mobile Money on Betway Nigeria
Betway Nigeria accepts GTBank 737 USSD for deposit, but they do not support Zenith Bank 966 USSD on their platform at the moment. However, they do accept the newly introduced MTN MOMO.
How to deposit with GT Bank 737 USSD on Betway Nigeria
- Dial the USSD code *737*50*285# on your registered mobile device
- Fill in the amount you will like to deposit
- Enter Betway Account ID
- Input registered GT Bank 737 PIN or Token
- You will receive a successful transaction notification when it is completed
How to deposit with MTN Mobile Money on Betway Nigeria
- Visit your nearest MTN Agent
- Supply the agent with your Betway account number and the amount you will like to deposit
- The agent will confirm your account by asking your name and surname
- Once the account is confirmed, the agent will complete your transaction
- The deposit amount is added to your Betway account
The minimum deposit for GT Bank 737 USSD is ₦100 while the maximum deposit is ₦200,000. The MTN MOMO service on Betway is free of charge and very fast.
Read our Betway Nigeria review to learn more about the bookmaker.